Sunday, September 20, 2009

Origins -- My real About Me


Origins
Originally uploaded by vanhookc
Origins
Where I am From
by C. VanHook

I am from stately old pecans trees
supporting wheel barrow tree houses
I am from the afternoon jingle
of the ice cream man strolling down the lane
I am from amusement parks and hula dancing in the streets
with cousins at Grandma and Pa’s
My bank account is filled with memories of shiny white bush-coins
that made me rich in play
I am from the deep South where cold springs take the swimmer’s
breath away, fishing on the dock and swimming in the seaweed
I am from journeys into town with Papa to shop Piggly-Wiggly
and to climb the mountain of library steps
for awaiting adventures with Nancy Drew
I am from a red Cocker who could play hide and seek
and a Siamese that would leave headless gifts in my bedroom closet
I am from country ham and biscuits, pecan pie, boiled peanuts, and pinto beans--
real soulful, Southern delicacies
I am from teenage shopping trips with Mom in search of Bobby Brooks
I am from big oaks and pines and rows and rows of rainbow-colored flowers
I am from a Daddy’s royal harvest of silver queen, red juicy tomatoes,
and purple crowders just waiting for a Mother’s yummy Sunday dinner
I am from aunts and uncles who adored the nieces and nephews,
cozy visits, and words of wisdom that gave us a wealth of confidence
I am from the mindset that there is something good in everyone
and that when you find your true love,
it's a 50/50 “give and take” relationship
I am from a genealogical mix spanning Pennsylvania to Georgia!
The memories are precious and give tribute to a happy childhood!

What's your About Me?

No comments:

Post a Comment