Saturday, January 3, 2009

HOW WE CAN BE SELF-LEARNERS!!!


FYI
Originally uploaded by vanhookc
Troy, this is for you...

The students were very antsy the last week of school before Christmas Break. The library was packed with students. This should be a good thing but they were not necessarily there for all the right reasons. The library, you see, has lots of computers...and computers connect to the Internet...and to the games.

So, I was a little perturbed with the not-so studious students. Troy said to me, on one of those last days, that he wanted to do something productive to show me proper use of library time and space. He volunteered to write a paper. He asked for a topic, and I suggested one. Here is what I got!

At the end of the period, he beamed as he handed me his typed essay! I told him that his writing was outstanding and he surely pulled if off the Internet. He assured me that our students are listening, learning, and retaining more than we think!

He's so right! Enjoy his words...

HOW WE CAN BE SELF-LEARNERS!!!

"The educational systems in schools today are too sensitive and nice. They baby students all throughout school, from kindergarten to senior year. They don't let students go out and learn on their own. They teach that if you want an answer the only way to get it is to go to your teacher."

He suggested the following as a solution to break away from the habit that students have formed. "We need to make it habit for students to not immediately go to their teacher for the answer but instead expand their knowledge by figuring it out for themselves."

I will probably turn to Troy this next semester for more essays. He's got the answers!

No comments:

Post a Comment