Sunday, December 28, 2008

Love, Peace, Harmony, and Fruitcake

I asked one of my sons, "And what do you want for Christmas?"

His reply, "Love, Peace, Harmony, and Fruitcake." Humm, that's a great list to give and will take thought. Perhpaps, the easiest on the list is the fruitcake.

And so, on Christmas Eve, I sent my youngest and the Dad on a mission to find the fruitcake. "Don't come home till you find it!" They were quite successful from the start and the present was wrapped with loving care! To my surprise, on Christmas morning, my son had a German fruitcake for me, as well.

After the hustle and bustle of playing with the toys, we pulled out the fruitcakes. It seems these fruitcakes have more to offer than simply the eating! We were sharing our love and some precious time together; I rather think a new tradition has begun. Stories were shared of great-grandmother's special cake wrapped in the old barrel soaked in grape juice. These, too, were happy times for many family members that have passed on. Another great-grandmother's best recipe was her fruitcake. It's time to pull that recipe out of the 'ole church recipe book and give it a try. A few smiles from heaven will look down joyfully on that!

And the special meaning of this activity goes on! To think, we were sharing a German cake and an American cake. Perhaps, this represents a vision of world peace and harmony, a sharing of cultures and traditions. Who would have thought that the exchange of these gifts could symbolize world harmony!

So, in 2009, I shall give my best effort of providing love, peace, and harmony to everyone. This was, after all, the top request on my son's list. Won't you share in this effort? And about the fruitcake, Christmas will be here soon enough. I'll look forward to another afternoon of sharing a healthy dessert, love, and time together!

No comments:

Post a Comment