Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Why have a Personal Learning Network

Personal Learning Networks are taking off at rapid speed. So, it looks like an interstate of roads and pathways all intertwining with one another. How does one keep on the pathway and headed in the right direction?

There has to be organization--a map, you might say. What is the purpose of web 2.0?

I have tried to list a few reasons to use online social networks and tools. See if you agree?

personal contacts
quick pics of the relatives across the country or world
connect with friends
network
professional education and training
sharing work
reflection
collaboration
collecting data and information
visual storytelling
training and providing instructions / procedures
quick announcements and advertising
news announcements
communications
quick contact
podcasting / video and audio
training briefs
comments

Being able to leave comments...that's it! As I look at each tool I use, being able to comment is the quickest means of connecting, learning, and growing! Bouncing around ideas generates new knowledge! What success!

And what do you think?

Today, I am using the following (and tomorrow, there will be new tools to add to my list, I can only imagine):
  • A personal webpage
  • Several social networks--two for personal / professional contact and one for a global learning project
  • Several wikis--one for global booktalking and one as my PLN home base
  • Flickr
  • Doodle
  • RSS Feed Aggregator
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Google Docs
  • Shared Feeds
Your comments are welcome! Thus, I can probably begin to add to this list!

1 comment:

  1. Interestingly, I continuously revise my model of PLN, but try to see the big picture - that is, the impact of our changing world and social media on values, relationships, norms, pedagogy...the democratization of these tools theoretically give all of us a 'voice' that did not have a global outlook in the past. This is an incredible tool, but also one with ethical and accountable responsibilities that often seem overlooked in the frenzy to be involved. Just my 2 cents!

    ReplyDelete